This open house was active from Aug. 13-29, 2021. Information on this website may no longer be current. Email us for more information.
We're sorry we can't meet in person, but here is a South African treat you can make at home!
Ingredients for syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice of half a lemon
Ingredients for dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, or mix of all-purpose and corn flours
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine syrup ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cinnamon and ginger; set aside to cool.
- Mix dry dough ingredients in a bowl.
- Add milk, butter and egg, kneading just until smooth.
- Let dough rest for half an hour.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured board into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Cut into strips, about 1/2 inch wide and four inches long.
- Pinch the tops of three strips together and braid (left over center, right over center, repeat to end) and pinch bottom of strips together. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Put oil in a large pot or deep fryer. Heat to about 375 degrees.
- Fry one or two koeksisters at a time, so not to overfill the pot. Flip so that both sides brown.
- Soak hot koeksisters in syrup for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.